Re: [opensuse-support] screen resolution changes after switching off and on second monitor
  • From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 20:31:01 +0100
On jeudi, 7 février 2019 15.49:00 h CET Michael Hirmke wrote:
Hi *,

I am using Tumbleweed with latest snapshots on a DELL XPS 13.
Besides the internal screen an external monitor is connected via
Thunderbolt dock / mini display port.
I modified /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup and switched off the internal
monitor via xrandr, whenever an external monitor is connected. Otherwise
the internal screen stays primary.

When switching off the external monitor, the internal monitor stays off,
which is perfectly ok. Switching on the external monitor again, leads to
my actual problem, though: The internal monitor gets switched on for a
second, then gets switched off again, and the external monitor shows the
desktop.
For the second the internal monitor is on, screen resolution changes
forth to the resolution of the internal monitor and back to the
resolution of the external monitor.
This leads to a completely distorted desktop regarding my own windows.
Plasma itself obviously can cope with the fast change in resolution.

Switching off kscreen2 stops that switching, but I loose a few other
features.

Is there any setting to tell kscreen2 not to activate the internal
screen in this case, but instead directly use the external one?

I hope this description was not too confusing ;)

TIA.

Bye.
Michael.

Hi Michael, I'm doing kind of same sort of things like you.
With a Precision M7510 4k internal screen and 27" 4k external plus another low
dpi hp 24". I don't use any xrandr rules, just plain kscreen configuration
and I've setup it to say keep internal monitor off when external is there (all
the connection are handled by display port (dock and mini-dp directly on the
laptop).

This setup has really work well since months. Maybe the xrandr script is
conflicting with events captured by kscreen ?

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch