[opensuse-support] screen resolution changes after switching off and on second monitor
  • From: mh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Hirmke)
  • Date: 07 Feb 2019 15:49:00 +0100
Hi *,

I am using Tumbleweed with latest snapshots on a DELL XPS 13.
Besides the internal screen an external monitor is connected via
Thunderbolt dock / mini display port.
I modified /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup and switched off the internal
monitor via xrandr, whenever an external monitor is connected. Otherwise
the internal screen stays primary.

When switching off the external monitor, the internal monitor stays off,
which is perfectly ok. Switching on the external monitor again, leads to
my actual problem, though: The internal monitor gets switched on for a
second, then gets switched off again, and the external monitor shows the
desktop.
For the second the internal monitor is on, screen resolution changes
forth to the resolution of the internal monitor and back to the
resolution of the external monitor.
This leads to a completely distorted desktop regarding my own windows.
Plasma itself obviously can cope with the fast change in resolution.

Switching off kscreen2 stops that switching, but I loose a few other
features.

Is there any setting to tell kscreen2 not to activate the internal
screen in this case, but instead directly use the external one?

I hope this description was not too confusing ;)

TIA.

Bye.
Michael.
--