Re: [opensuse-support] Re: Unresponsive desktop
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:47:05 +0100

(I suppose this should also have gone to the list - not sure what your problem
with my mails is, when I L-reply to myself I do get
opensuse-support@xxxxxxxxxxxx as send-to....)

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

For me it happens during image processing. The laptop now has 32GB. I
still
manage to trigger this if I'm not careful....

JFTR, the system is *not* crashed or dead, just totally unresponsive. One
can
wait until the heavy swap io is over, and the system will be normal again,
without *any* notice in the logs.

I do heavy image processing, batches of 1000 raws or more sometime but
usually 600-700, youth soccer games. I have been using darktable on
openSUSE Tumbleweed for some years now without a problem and am very happy
with the software and resulting images. I cannot remember every having a
crash or hanging system due to memory use but do have 36gb.

Well, batch processing is not using the whole memory in a go, but does it one
by one (I rather refer to this PS/GIMP/Darktable processing as 'Photo
Retouching'). I'm really talking about having a 3D data cube of a few hundred
4600x3500 float images and doing stuff like FFT analysis and such on it where
you really need access to all data 'at once'.

what software are you using?

I use IDL. I.e., some programing language. Might as well be C or Python...