Re: [opensuse-support] Re: Unresponsive desktop
On 05/02/2019 13.02, Liam Proven wrote:
On 2/3/19 2:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I noticed kswapd0 was busy long time, and that firefox had
about 10 gigs of virtual memory. The disk activity led was solid blue. I
couldn't find out more, the machine froze and had to be hard rebooted.

I would observe that RAM starvation seems to be the related to a number
of your problems.

I also note your fondness for running a local IMAP server, _with_ virus
scanning too, on multiple machines.

I suggest that these problems are related.

I would further suggest:

* stop running local IMAP servers. Put them on a dedicated host.
Consider putting virus scanning on a separate dedicated host, too.
(Others have said this too. I know you don't want to. I know you have
reasons. Re-evaluate them. Listen to the advice.)

I might move clamav, but not dovecot. It is not memory hungry.

And further, I need dovecot on all my laptops, the home server is not
accessible to them all time. At worst, dovecot would be served from the
desktop machine precisely.

And, 42.3 did not exhibit this hanging problem, with the same load.
Being slow is one thing, crashing is another.

* Investigate compcache and other measures to swap compressed data for
greater efficiency.

* Buy more RAM. If an old machine won't take more RAM, replace it with a
slightly less-old machine.

That needs funds. Are you doing a donation for a new PC? :-p

(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
Follow Ups