[opensuse-support] Re: Unresponsive desktop
On 2/3/19 2:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I noticed kswapd0 was busy long time, and that firefox had
about 10 gigs of virtual memory. The disk activity led was solid blue. I
couldn't find out more, the machine froze and had to be hard rebooted.

I would observe that RAM starvation seems to be the related to a number
of your problems.

I also note your fondness for running a local IMAP server, _with_ virus
scanning too, on multiple machines.

I suggest that these problems are related.

I would further suggest:

* stop running local IMAP servers. Put them on a dedicated host.
Consider putting virus scanning on a separate dedicated host, too.
(Others have said this too. I know you don't want to. I know you have
reasons. Re-evaluate them. Listen to the advice.)

* Investigate compcache and other measures to swap compressed data for
greater efficiency.

* Buy more RAM. If an old machine won't take more RAM, replace it with a
slightly less-old machine.