Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 14:31:41 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2019-02-04 at 14:03 +0100, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, but for that you have to know which process to limit. I don't have
a clear culprit. I had been sleeping, the machine was idling.

In that case you *might* try the top-level limit, I think that should not
allow *any* process to use all physical space. You'd still be f****d if two
of those would start competeing heavily, but it should be better...

Firefox is divided in five processes. One master and four childs. I don't see how to limit the total of them.

As I recall, I sat on my computer, had a glance at Thunderbird, there
was an unsent usenet post, so clicked to send. Machine was responding
normally, maybe a bit slow; I noticed on the "Multiload" applet that it
was loaded on i/o, so I pressed the key combination to go one workspace
to the left, where one terminal was running top, to have a look. Bamm! A
terminal was white, failed to refresh. The log terminal displayed
content of several hours earlier. The one with top did not respond to
keys, as I wanted to kill firefox, which had 10.5 GB of virtual memory.
Things finally froze completely.

Yes, exactly the same. Try a switch, content and applications on that other
screen are swaped out already, and the culprit process is hitting the swap
that hard that there's no chance the needed swap is read back :(

Sorry, I don't understand this paragarph. What switch?

I didn't have a chance to find who was hitting swap heavily.

I've even considered doing this on the main level, i.e.,
echo 15032385536 > /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.limit_in_bytes

Then no process at all can use up all memory. I have not checked though if
that works as intended. You might give it a try (of course with some smaller
limit, something like 6.5-7GB for the 8GB machine)

So in your case (6GB limit)

# echo 6442450944 > /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.limit_in_bytes

As I said, it would not limit the amount of (total) memory the process uses -
it just starts swapping when that limit is reached, before all physical mem is
used up.

I don't think anything was using 6 GB.

But it is possible that the 5 firefox processes in total were hitting it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from openSUSE 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)