Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 14:56:40 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2019-02-03 at 08:46 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <> [02-03-19 08:34]:
Hi,

Last December I reported this problem on my laptop, and now my
desktop also exhibits it.

After several days running, this morning it locked as soon as I
changed workspaces. I noticed kswapd0 was busy long time, and that
firefox had about 10 gigs of virtual memory. The disk activity led
was solid blue. I couldn't find out more, the machine froze and
had to be hard rebooted.

A week before it also froze, but that time I could not observe
anything.

I have noticed firefox on occasion to decide to use all the memory
it could find and had to kill/restart firefox, but never to the
point of requiring a reboot. but I have no swap and 36gb of
memory.

Hmm, I haven't seen this but sometimes when I have a large number (for
me, anyway) of tabs & windows open, the system slows down to the point
where I think "I must close all the Firefox pages and restart it".
Occasionally Firefox has crashed but I've never understood why so just
let it report the crash and restart itself.

I had no chance to kill firefox, system froze while I tried to issue
the command.

Whenever I try to debug problems like this I find it can be helpful to
ssh into the machine with the problem as soon as it is started, su to
root and keep the session open in the background. Frequently when the
problem machine subsequently 'hangs' it has proven to just be extremely
sluggish and it has been possible to kill or suspend the most likely
culprit process to recover the machine. Sometimes I have waited for
half an hour or more whilst the command executes. Sometimes it is also
possible to run things like top or strace through the ssh session to
gather more information.

but you don't say which system version or DT or firefox

Yes, I do. See signature.

You're right in the letter of the law but not the spirit, IMHO. Many
people don't notice the signature, or may not even display it to avoid
taking offence at some of the things people post there. And the
suspicion always remains about whether details in the signature are
accurate for the system with the problem, as opposed to the system from
which the message is being posted. So I think it's better to be
explicit in the body of the message.

Firefox is the default version that comes with it:

MozillaFirefox-60.4.0-lp150.3.30.1.x86_64

Desktop is XFCE.

FWIW, I'm using the same OS and FF but run LXDE.