Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 14:56:40 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2019-02-03 at 08:46 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <> [02-03-19 08:34]:
Hi,

Last December I reported this problem on my laptop, and now my desktop
also exhibits it.

After several days running, this morning it locked as soon as I changed
workspaces. I noticed kswapd0 was busy long time, and that firefox had
about 10 gigs of virtual memory. The disk activity led was solid blue. I
couldn't find out more, the machine froze and had to be hard rebooted.

A week before it also froze, but that time I could not observe anything.

I have noticed firefox on occasion to decide to use all the memory it
could find and had to kill/restart firefox, but never to the point of
requiring a reboot. but I have no swap and 36gb of memory.

I had no chance to kill firefox, system froze while I tried to issue the command.

The laptop has 4 gigs, the desktop has 8, so it takes longer to crash.

I might have to start firefox with ulimit, but I don't know what limits to give it.

but you don't say which system version or DT or firefox

Yes, I do. See signature.

Firefox is the default version that comes with it:

MozillaFirefox-60.4.0-lp150.3.30.1.x86_64

Desktop is XFCE.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from openSUSE 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)