Re: [opensuse-support] Correct usage of pam-config
27.01.2019 14:23, Bob Williams пишет:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 22:06:40 +0300
Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, documentation you mention says quite clearly

If you prefer to manually create or maintain your PAM configuration
files, make sure to disable pam-config for these files.

and then explains how to do it.

The explanation says:
"When you create your PAM configuration files from scratch using the
pam-config --create command, it creates symbolic links from the
common-* to the common-*-pc files. pam-config only modifies the
common-*-pc configuration files. Removing these symbolic links
effectively disables pam-config, because pam-config only operates on
the common-*-pc files and these files are not put into effect without
the symbolic links. "

On this machine, the common-* files are symlinks and the common-*-pc
files are regular text files containing the code. If I remove the
common-* links, I will be left with the common-*-pc configuration
files, created by pam-config.

Will PAM read those common-*-pc files or does it expect to find
common-* ?

It expects to find common-*.

Do I need to rename common-*-pc to common-* as well as
removing the common-* links?

You do not *need* to rename them, but if you want to start with exact
copy of current configuration - yes, copy (or move, does not matter)
common-*-pc into corresponding common-* before starting to change common-*.

Normally I would experiment with some file renaming, but I'm worried
that if I get it wrong I might lock myself out of the machine.

It is easy to fix after booting either from snapshot or from any Linux
Live medium (including openSUSE installation one).

Many thanks for your help.

Bob

< Previous Next >