Re: [opensuse-support] Correct usage of pam-config
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 22:06:40 +0300
Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, documentation you mention says quite clearly

If you prefer to manually create or maintain your PAM configuration
files, make sure to disable pam-config for these files.

and then explains how to do it.

The explanation says:
"When you create your PAM configuration files from scratch using the
pam-config --create command, it creates symbolic links from the
common-* to the common-*-pc files. pam-config only modifies the
common-*-pc configuration files. Removing these symbolic links
effectively disables pam-config, because pam-config only operates on
the common-*-pc files and these files are not put into effect without
the symbolic links. "

On this machine, the common-* files are symlinks and the common-*-pc
files are regular text files containing the code. If I remove the
common-* links, I will be left with the common-*-pc configuration
files, created by pam-config.

Will PAM read those common-*-pc files or does it expect to find
common-* ? Do I need to rename common-*-pc to common-* as well as
removing the common-* links?

Normally I would experiment with some file renaming, but I'm worried
that if I get it wrong I might lock myself out of the machine.

Many thanks for your help.

Bob

--
Bob