Re: [opensuse-support] Does NFS allow different encodings to be used on server/client side?
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:27:56 +0100

On 18/01/2019 13.15, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:48:53 +0100

On 18/01/2019 11.16, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:00:06 +0100
Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.
While I use iso-8859-1 in my systems, my friend uses utf-8.

Actually, not just your friend but most people in the world.

I would suggest you consider converting your systems to utf-8.

Except on Windows :-)

Eh, 'Microsoft was one of the first companies to implement Unicode'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_in_Microsoft_Windows

Isn't it UTF-16?

For instance, I use some video recording software designed
primarily for windows. Apparently, the names of the videos are set
by the broadcaster, and while they display correctly in Kodi, they
don't on Linux.

Broadcast character sets are a nightmare, they have their own
character sets defined in the DVB standards not the usual suspects,
and then they sometimes transmit 'broken' strings, where the source
of the text might be some old windows system, transferred by some
ignorant old system to the transmitter and wrongly labelled. Most
TV text systems simply delete any bad characters when preparing
them for display so punters don't see rubbish on screen. Kodi is
one such.

Argh.

Yes, your explanation fits the symptoms.

Another example: when I edit TomTom POIs using website
<https://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/poi_edit_online.php>, the
names display correctly in FF in Linux, but don't on the TomTom
(which is said to use Linux inside, but...).

Old linux systems used to use iso-8859-*

Yep.

I have no idea what Linux they use now. It is a modern TomTom, but I
see no way to look inside - years ago it was possible.

I will try to edit them using FF inside Windows on a virtual machine.

This is actually no big issue when using rsync (as it can convert
filenames on the fly), but now I wanted to use KODI on my FireTV
stick. KODI appears to use only UTF8 when using its built-in
nfs-client, or it has a bug and ignores the configured character
set.

Anyway, Kodi does not show German Umlauts therefore.

Can I configure the kernel-nfs on my server to do something
similar to rsync by using "--iconv=iso-8859-1,utf-8"? So my
server-side encoding is translated to UTF8 only for this FireTV
stick?

You could create a new directory to serve your media to kodi. Only
use a utf-8 environment when creating entries in it. Fill it with
hard links to your existing media files.

Doesn't work when trying to move, copy, delete movies.

You'll have to explain why not.

Well, the operation would be done on the symlinks, the file would
still be there and no disk space saved. I would have to repeat the
delete operation on the "actual" file.

I was thinking of hard links rather than symlinks. Saving disk space is
not an objective is it? I agree that deletions would not unlink the
original entry. If that was an issue then I would revert to my original
suggestion - change the entire system to Unicode (i.e. delete the
original directory).