Re: [opensuse-support] Does NFS allow different encodings to be used on server/client side?
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 10:00:06 +0100
Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello.
While I use iso-8859-1 in my systems, my friend uses utf-8.

Actually, not just your friend but most people in the world.

I would suggest you consider converting your systems to utf-8.

This is actually no big issue when using rsync (as it can convert
filenames on the fly), but now I wanted to use KODI on my FireTV
stick. KODI appears to use only UTF8 when using its built-in
nfs-client, or it has a bug and ignores the configured character set.

Anyway, Kodi does not show German Umlauts therefore.

Can I configure the kernel-nfs on my server to do something similar
to rsync by using "--iconv=iso-8859-1,utf-8"? So my server-side
encoding is translated to UTF8 only for this FireTV stick?

You could create a new directory to serve your media to kodi. Only use
a utf-8 environment when creating entries in it. Fill it with hard
links to your existing media files.