Re: [opensuse-support] Tumbleweed - unable to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display to Lenovo Thinkpad P52
On 09/01/2019 14:13, Robert Munteanu wrote:
Hi Liam,

Looking for a replacement cable lead me an article that says that
removing the cable is only possible by disassembling the display [1].

That is what the phrase "captive cable" means, yes. :-)

Was that what you had to do? The cable does not seem user-removable at
my end.

You can't remove it, you shouldn't try and you don't have to.

You buy a Thunderbolt cable and you plug one end of it into your laptop
-- via adaptor if required -- and the other end of it into one of the
the Thunderbolt ports on the back of the monitor.

I have coiled up the Apple cable and tied it with a cable-tie, so that
it doesn't get in the way.

(Incidentally I have also removed the Apple stand, and mounted the
T'bolt display on one of these:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00U8KSWB6

I recommend it. It's strong, includes the special Apple mounting bracket
in the box, and makes the screen far more versatile. Mine is now a large
portrait display and works very well in this mode. I found 2 × 27"
landscape screens side-by-side was impractical and gave me neck-ache.)

That's also possibility. I probably should've tested before quickly
wiping Windows ... I was encourage by the fact that there were many
references to this display working on Linux.

Ah. That is unfortunate. I usually keep it around, disk space
permitting, for things like hardware testing, firmware updates, and in
order to facilitate dual-booting on UEFI machines.