Re: [opensuse-support] ping service & performance (was: Network watchdog)
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 12:42:03 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

The problem with pinging an outside place on the watchdog is that, if
the outside site fails, or if your ISP or some ISP on the route fails,
your server gets into a useless and fast loop.

In my case the inside net was fine. It was only the outer IF that didn't
receive anything anymore. So I do have to ping outside. 8.8.8.8 seems a very
obvious choice for that. And as for the fast loop - that depends on the cron
settings. ATM it's set to 'daily'. I might put it on 'hourly', but that is
still not a really fast cadence, is it?
It's not for a HA server - it only acts as hub in my VPN and central GIT
repository, and nothing really breaks if it's down for some hours/days.