[opensuse-support] Tumbleweed - unable to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display to Lenovo Thinkpad P52
Hi,

I am having problems with connecting my laptop to an Apple Thunderbolt
Display [1].

The P52 has two Thunderbolt over USB-C ports and I am connecting it to
the Apple Display using an Apple adapter. A colleague has validated
that the display works with a Macbook using a similar adapter.

I am using the 'Discrete Graphics' setting and using the proprietary
nvidia driver version 410.93.

I have checked the following:

- in the BIOS Thunderbolt assist is disabled ( should not be necessary
_and_ it is reported to brick the laptop [2] )
- in the BIOS I have set the security level to 'none'
- in Gnome the 'Thunderbolt' panel displays 'Thunderbolt could not be
detected'
- xrandr -q does not return any connected displays

$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3840 x 2160, maximum 32767 x 32767
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-2 connected primary 3840x2160+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis
y axis) 344mm x 193mm
3840x2160 60.00*+
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

- tbtadm devices returns no entries. However, tbtadm topology does
recognize the host

$ tbtadm topology

Controller 0
└─ Details:
├─ Name: P52, Lenovo
└─ Security level: SL0 (none)

In case it helps, here's the lspci -vt output

$ sudo lspci -vt
-[0000:00]-+-00.0 Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM
Registers
+-01.0-[01]--+-00.0 NVIDIA Corporation GP107GLM [Quadro P2000
Mobile]
| \-00.1 NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition
Audio Controller
+-04.0 Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core
Processor Thermal Subsystem
+-08.0 Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th
Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
+-12.0 Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Thermal Controller
+-14.0 Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host
Controller
+-14.2 Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Shared SRAM
+-14.3 Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak]
+-15.0 Intel Corporation Device a368
+-16.0 Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH HECI Controller
+-16.3 Intel Corporation Device a363
+-1b.0-[02]--
+-1b.4-[03]----00.0 Intel Corporation Device 7360
+-1c.0-[04-6e]----00.0-[05-6e]--+-00.0-[06]----00.0 Intel
Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]
| +-01.0-[07-39]--
| +-02.0-[3a]----00.0 Intel
Corporation JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller [Titan Ridge 4C 2018]
| \-04.0-[3b-6e]--
+-1c.7-[70]----00.0 Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS525A PCI
Express Card Reader
+-1d.0-[71]----00.0 Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller
SM981/PM981
+-1e.0 Intel Corporation Device a328
+-1f.0 Intel Corporation Device a30e
+-1f.3 Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS
+-1f.4 Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SMBus Controller
+-1f.5 Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SPI Controller
\-1f.6 Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM

At this point I have no idea where to go next. Thunderbolt support
should be there (both hardware and software) . All of the above
listings have been taken with the display connected.

Any ideas on how to debug or fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Thunderbolt_Display
[2]: