Re: [opensuse-support] Network watchdog
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 12:44:00 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I considered that :-D

It is the Movistar /fibre/ router. Actual fibre is not connected to it,
but to a device called ONT that goes before it converting to ethernet.

Ah, can only dream of fiber. This is La Palma :o
It will come. MaƱana.

Someone actually sells watchdogs that do that on their own, quite
expensive; the problem is not rare.

I had looked at a Pi based solution last year, for our observatory server, but
never finalized it....

Then yes, you need a daemon/cron/whatever.

If you don't find anything, you could adapt my program, but it is in
Pascal: instead of calling the external program to cycle power, call
network restart. The modification is almost trivial.

So ATM I'm running

#!/bin/sh
ping -c 1 -w 1 -q 8.8.8.8 &> /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then