Re: [opensuse-support] Network watchdog
On 08/01/2019 11.36, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

Hi List,

Last november, my remote home server went offline. When I finally could
access it physically, the machine was all fine, just the connection to the
outside world had been dead. A simple 'systemctl restart network' did bring
it back (it's a wicked-managed dhcp connection).

Now I wonder if there is some daemon existing that regularly checks if the
outside connection is properly working and, if not, restarts the network.
I'd have expected systemctl to do something like that. Or is it so simple
that I should just write a cron script that does this?

Wow.

I wrote my own daemon that pings the router and google periodically. My
problem is not the network dying on the computer, but the home router
locking up, though, so my daemon would not work for you.

My home server has not acted up in the way you describe, using Leap
15.0. However, my small laptop sometimes does not connect to the network
on restore from hibernate and I have to manually restart the network.

I think you should change your setup to fixed address, not dhcp.

(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)