Re: [opensuse-support] pam.so listed by `zypper ps` ???
On 28/12/2018 03.19, Michael Fischer wrote:
On Thu, Dec 27, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Carlos E. R. <> [12-27-18 18:55]:

Patrick, Carlos,

Thanks for the tips. I figured a reboot and login would cover the whole list.
However, it is unclear to me how the ONLY versioned libpam.so I seem to have
on my system is one I can do without. Surely there must be _some_ version
as the target of the usual symlink(s)???

$ locate libpam
/etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/libpam-systemd
/lib/libpam.so.0
/lib/libpam.so.0.84.2 <===
/lib/libpam_misc.so.0
/lib/libpam_misc.so.0.82.1
/lib/libpamc.so.0
/lib/libpamc.so.0.82.1
/lib64/libpam.so.0
/lib64/libpam.so.0.84.2
/lib64/libpam_misc.so.0
/lib64/libpam_misc.so.0.82.1
/lib64/libpamc.so.0
/lib64/libpamc.so.0.82.1
/usr/lib64/libpam.so
/usr/lib64/libpam_misc.so
/usr/lib64/libpamc.so

$ l /usr/lib64/libpam.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Dec 3 10:16 /usr/lib64/libpam.so ->
/lib64/libpam.so.0.84.2

$ l /lib64/libpam.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Dec 3 10:15 /lib64/libpam.so.0 -> libpam.so.0.84.2

So.. if that file is only showing up for `ls` because some processes still
have
it open, and I shut down those processes... doesn't this suggest that e.g.
systemd and login will get very unhappy because there is NO 64-bit libpam.so
on the system? (or at least the symlink targets are gone)

What part of this have I got horribly wrong? The above understanding of the
situation, or that I managed to do some zypper command which removed some
much needed libraries?

The only thing you did "half wrong" is not noticing that you had to
reboot after some update, and this is very common. People often say that
in Windows you always need to reboot so often, and that in Linux you
don't need to reboot. This is not true, in Linux sometimes you need to
reboot, sometimes not, but it is simply easier to reboot than figuring
out the list.

After *any* update just run "zypper ps", try to restart the services
they list, and if not, just log out. Run zypper ps in one of the text
mode consoles, and if still something is there, reboot.

And just run the updates at a moment in your schedule when rebooting is
not a problem.

With practice, from the list of things to update, you may figure out if
a reboot will be necessary, a log out, a restart of the graphical
session, or just a restart of some service or application.

List Navigation
Follow Ups