Re: [opensuse-support] "bad" locale -> bad/no box characters

Felix Miata wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

These are from 42.3 installations. On both, /etc/sysconfig/language is
identical,
Now that I look at the photos, the answer is slightly different. Machine
00srv does not use posix in the locale configuration.

/etc/sysconfig/language

## Type: string(ctype)
## Default: ctype
#
# This defines if the user "root" should use the locale settings
# which are defined here.
# Value "ctype" means that root uses just LC_CTYPE.
#
ROOT_USES_LANG="ctype"

I never change this.

I don't either, and since both PCs are using the same /etc/sysconfig/language
file, with that same specification, what is this supposed to be telling me, and
particularly, with regard to Konsole output?

(What, if anything as a practical matter, makes en_US and en_US.UTF-8 differ
I don't know either,
but I'd really rather not see displayed CJK and other alphabets' characters
I don't read.)

Non UTF-8 charset, go back more than a decade.

Plain en_US is by definition non-UTF-8? I thought it was an alias to something
else that may or may not be UTF-8 equivalent? Box drawing characters have been
available on PCs for more than three decades.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/