Re: [opensuse-support] Libreoffice not start in a newly installed openSUSE Tumbleweed with old user directory
  • From: H Zeng <zhx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 21:48:32 +0800
On Monday, 24 December 2018 20:39:44 HKT Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 24/12/2018 13.25, H Zeng wrote:
On Friday, 21 December 2018 10:02:10 HKT Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 21/12/2018 02.11, H Zeng wrote:
Hello,

I reinstalled my openSUSE Tumbleweed w/ KDE Plasma because my root
partition failed. After the reinstallation, Libreoffice does not start.
If trying to start it from command line, complaints are like these,
```bash
cnzhx@ostp:/home/cnzhx> libreoffice --safe-mode
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
'com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException'

And... is java installed?

Anyway, what you did is called "thread hijacking".

You hit reply on a message to this list dated 2018-12-09, Re: "Leap 15
Packman VLC - no drag'n'drop?", changed the subject and erased the
contents, to post your question. But to many of us it appears hidden as
a reply to that VLC question.

You can see your post here, in the archive - last post of the thread:

<https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-support/2018-12/msg00020.html>

Next time, please do not use "reply" to start a new thread, it is
confusing.>
Thank you, Carlos for the heads up and sorry to everyone in this list for
my mistake.

I have no idea why the last message became a "reply" to an old thread. I
definitely used the "New Message" button in Kmail to start the writing.
And I have been very confused by the fact that I cannot find the message
I sent in my Inbox. I recall that every new message comes up in my own
Inbox right after I send it. Anyway, I will try to do better on the
mailing list thereafter.

And I do not know you have replied because I have not seen your reply
until I use find in my mailbox. I saw a reply coming from Bruno just now.
But after a while when I ready to read it, I cannot see it. So I search
for it. At that moment, I realised that I have hijacked a thread.

Then, should I start a new thread from now on on this topic? I asked
because I received two replies on this topic in this thread.

Well, it would help in finding the post ;-)

Anyway, it seems that java is not the cause of the error.
I also think java is not the problem because the crash error persists after I
installed libreoffice-base as well as the java dependencies.

Check the list
of packages (and versions) against that of Bruno.
Compared to the packages provided by Bruno, my packages list lacks only the
*extensions and *printers after my trying to install libreoffice-gtk2,
libreoffice-gtk3 and libreoffice-base. Version numbers are the same.

As of java, I have only java-11-openjdk and its dependencies installed. But
this should make no difference.

Another resource is
to use strace to try find what the program is doing when it crashes,
there is not enough information.
Yes, I will try this but it has to be after I learn how to do it :-( I will
report back once I get any new information.

Just a check. You are using "zypper dup" for the TW updates, not zypper
up or yast?
I forgot to mention that the issue happened right after I reinstalled the
system with snapshot 20181214. I hoped the upgrade would solve the issue but
it did not. But yes, I always use "zypper dup" for the updating.

--

Best regards,
ZHX