Re: [opensuse-support] latest snapshot - distorted screen on DELL XPS 13 9370
Michael Hirmke composed on 2018-12-20 04:57 (UTC-0500):

2. What in general is the best X11 driver for the 620 chip at the moment
- intel or modesetting? And why?

IMO: modesetting

Why 1: it's the only X driver I've used with any gpu that supports it since I
discovered it at least two years ago

Why 2: last official release of xf86-video-intel was more than 3.5 years ago:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/

Why 3: ISTR on the intel-gfx mailing list a while back seeing mention that
primary
focus by those paid by Intel for Linux driver work was on the
modesetting driver

Why 4: It's been the apparent default in Debian and other distros for quite
some time:

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/intel-linux/886898-ubuntu-debian-abandon-intel-x-org-driver-for-most-hardware-moves-to-modesetting-ddx

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/intel-linux/923618-fedora-switching-away-from-intel-x-org-ddx-driver

Why 5: I've seen nothing to explain why the foundational differences between
the way the
two work might suggest one or the other might be theoretically better
of not
better in practice

Why 6: history in forums of gfx problems disappearing when xf86-video-intel is
uninstalled

Why 7: at least in theory, unnecessary to switch X configuration to use a
different
driver when a gfxcard is added to or removed from a PCIe slot in a
motherboard
with both Intel CPU and video output ports

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/