Re: [opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 14:44:33 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 02/12/2018 21.22, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

stdout/stderr are setup in display manager and inherited by all started
processes (including X server), unless processes explicitly change them.
Both gdm and sddm prefer journal and this is hardcoded.

Ah. I read about this inheriting, but wasn't sure where it comes from.
So starting an X session without a DM should not show that behavior?
Have to try that...

Now I understand the issue.

Same here.

Systemd is innocent this time ;-)

But don't forget about the kitten!

Apparently, I have kstars in my older laptop, so I tried - but I do not
see entries in syslog. I did not go past the introduction, though,
something failed. Oh, no, my mistake: I started it remotely via ssh
session, so the output is in my ssh client terminal. I'll try later locally.

I just tried at my computer at home that still runs Leap 42.3.
There nothing ends up in syslog. But it's also a very old version of kstars
(2.7.6 vs. now recent 3.0.0pre on my TW machine).