Re: [opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
On 03/12/2018 10.30, Ianseeks wrote:
On Sunday, 2 December 2018 18:24:25 GMT Neil Rickert wrote:
On 12/2/18 5:23 AM, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

I just noticed/realized that if I start an application via the DE menu,
anything that this application prints to stdout is sent to
systemd/journal/syslog. (in my case, it's kstars).

Traditionally, that output went to ".xsession-errors" (or similar).

My normal practice was to ignore that, unless I was debugging something.

But, yes, now that goes to syslog. This is quite annoying. It clutters
up syslog with lots of unimportant stuff. I used to occasionally browse
"/var/log/messages", but now there is too much garbage there.

I assume that this is a "systemd" feature (or misfeature).

There was chat a while back about systemd deprecating the journal forwarding
to syslog config item as syslog was going to control the import of journal
entries into syslog system itself. Not sure if this happened or not.

I don't understand this. Meaning that syslog daemons would no longer
work? :-/

List Navigation
Follow Ups