Re: [opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
  • From: Ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 09:30:17 +0000
On Sunday, 2 December 2018 18:24:25 GMT Neil Rickert wrote:
On 12/2/18 5:23 AM, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

I just noticed/realized that if I start an application via the DE menu,
anything that this application prints to stdout is sent to
systemd/journal/syslog. (in my case, it's kstars).

Traditionally, that output went to ".xsession-errors" (or similar).

My normal practice was to ignore that, unless I was debugging something.

But, yes, now that goes to syslog. This is quite annoying. It clutters
up syslog with lots of unimportant stuff. I used to occasionally browse
"/var/log/messages", but now there is too much garbage there.

I assume that this is a "systemd" feature (or misfeature).

There was chat a while back about systemd deprecating the journal forwarding to
syslog config item as syslog was going to control the import of journal entries
into syslog system itself. Not sure if this happened or not.

As far as I know, this is due to I/O being redirect at X11 startup, and
that redirection is inherited by started applications. Since "systemd"
is responsible for starting the graphic display service, I assume it is
responsible for this change of behavior.

I don't know how to change this. But maybe it is done in systemd unit
files.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20181129
Qt: 5.11.2 KDE Frameworks: 5.52.0 - KDE Plasma: 5.14.3 - kwin 5.14.3