Re: [opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
02.12.2018 21:24, Neil Rickert пишет:
On 12/2/18 5:23 AM, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

I just noticed/realized that if I start an application via the DE menu,
anything that this application prints to stdout is sent to
systemd/journal/syslog. (in my case, it's kstars).

Traditionally, that output went to ".xsession-errors" (or similar).

My normal practice was to ignore that, unless I was debugging something.

But, yes, now that goes to syslog. This is quite annoying. It clutters
up syslog with lots of unimportant stuff. I used to occasionally browse
"/var/log/messages", but now there is too much garbage there.

I assume that this is a "systemd" feature (or misfeature).

Of course. Systemd also ate your kitten.

As far as I know, this is due to I/O being redirect at X11 startup, and
that redirection is inherited by started applications. Since "systemd"
is responsible for starting the graphic display service, I assume it is
responsible for this change of behavior.

stdout/stderr are setup in display manager and inherited by all started
processes (including X server), unless processes explicitly change them.
Both gdm and sddm prefer journal and this is hardcoded.

I don't know how to change this. But maybe it is done in systemd unit
files.