[opensuse-support] STDOUT of programs started from DE menu in syslog
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 11:23:36 +0000

Hi list,

I just noticed/realized that if I start an application via the DE menu,
anything that this application prints to stdout is sent to
systemd/journal/syslog. (in my case, it's kstars).

If I start the application from a terminal, I get the output there, and
nothing in syslog.

Is there an easy way to change that behavior? I see (man systemd.exec) that
in case of services you can prevent that using the StandardOutput= option.
But how to do this for .desktop applications? Who is initiating that redirect
on first place? Is it the DE, the window manager, or something else?