Re: [opensuse-support] updatedb now fails for regular user with local db
On 28/11/2018 03.11, Ralph wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 08:34:12 -0500
Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

and perhaps my failing to read *completely* your question is another
problem. "updatedb" is NOT intended to be performed by non-root user
on openSUSE distro and has not in the past to my knowledge for a very
long time. but you must account for brown-bottle pickled and aged
memory. you must use "sudo" or otherwise elevate users privileges to
root.

What can I say, as time goes by I'm finding that LOTS of things I do by
habit on linux, as a user, things that I have done since the last
century, are all of a sudden "not supported by" whatever distro. A
year(?) ago I was told by opensuse bugzilla folks that booting with the
root partition in the extended partition on bios drives isn't supported,
but I've been doing that on every/all of my machines since forever
(except for one new uefi machine bought last year).

That's absurd, YaST installed the system automatically in that way for
me years ago.

Anyway, in this case, updatedb-for-users IS explained in the man pages,
down near the bottom, one of the examples, which is probably where I
originally got it from. The current man page is recent, well, recent
as man pages go, dated 2008, but it's still there. If it's not
supported then the man page should be changed.

Yep.