Re: [opensuse-support] nVidia support
On 21/11/2018 16:43, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Yeaaaars ago I reported a bug at NVIDIA re. nvidia-settings and xorg.conf (
which has been deprecated and replaced by xorg.conf.d ), others did too, bugs
were all denied. That would not have been an issue if nvidia-settings would
generate a proper xorg.conf which it hardly ever does. And, not only on
openSUSE, I've seen reports for many other distros. Same for the nvidia-
xconfig utility

I have to admit, I have not had any problems on Ubuntu since when I was
using an ancient (turn-of-the-century) TNT Riva 2 card which wanted an
older glibc than came as standard. And I got that working.

My old, now-sold-on huge Toshiba Satellite Pro P300A desktop-replacement
laptop had a 17" LCD -- yes really -- with some ancient ATI GPU that ATI
stopped supporting in 2012. It got a bit flakey around Ubuntu 12.04-02,
the LTS where x.org got too new for the ancient fglrx driver, but by
2013, the FOSS radeon driver was fine and everything started working
again -- even Mir.

So it's fair to say I've _never_ had problems like I'm having with this
bally Dell and the latest releases of openSUSE! :'(