Re: [opensuse-support] wget works on CLI but not in cronjob
On 10/11/2018 11.14, Bob Williams wrote:
I have a bash script to download the files from a remote website, which
contains the following line:

wget -r -l 8 -nH -nv --user=user --password=password
ftp://web5.pipeten.co.uk/some_folder -o /home/bob/logs/wget-log

When I run the script from the command line, it works perfectly. When I run
it from my crontab it doesn't because DNS lookup on web5.pipeten.co.uk fails.

30 8 * * 6 bash /home/bob/bin/bb_backup.sh

What have I missed?

I don't know about this particular case, but the environment you get on
the script changes: most entries are dropped on cron jobs.

I would write a 'host' query in the script just before wget and see if
that works or also fails.