Re: [opensuse-support] Leap 15.0 - Migrate to PostgreSQL 10
  • From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:31:09 +0200
On lundi, 22 octobre 2018 14.46:01 h CEST Maximilian Trummer wrote:
Am Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2018, 23:57:00 CEST schrieb Knurpht-openSUSE:
Op zondag 21 oktober 2018 23:07:04 CEST schreef Maximilian Trummer:
Hey, I have a machine that was upgraded from Leap 42.3 to Leap 15.0.
It still uses PostgreSQL 9.6 and starts it automatically in the systemd
service (postgresql.service).

How can I migrate this to use PostgreSQL 10? It's already installed but
I'm
not sure how to proceed. Do I also need to upgrade databases with
pg_upgrade?

regards

use
update-alternaves --config postgresql
It will show you 10 is the default configured, and let you set 96 as the
default.

Thanks, but I *want* to upgrade to Postgres 10, which is already configured
as the default (selected from "auto mode").

However, this still shows Postgres 9.6 being used:
$ ps aux | grep postgres

output:
/usr/lib/postgresql96/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

So why is the old version still started, even though 10 is selected in
update- alternatives?

regards

The 9.6 version is kept and started until you migrate the data you have in /
var/lib/pgsql/data (or delete)

So you use the normal procedure to migrate PostgreSQL from one major to the
other with the method you prefer dumpall or pg_upgrade

For pg_upgrade you can have inplace or copy, for the copy you simply rename
data to data.96 and start the migration (beware of the place needed on disk).

Once done you can remove the old version

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch