Re: [opensuse-support] question about ldd

On 24/09/2018 20:15, Bengt Gördén wrote:
On 2018-09-24 01:20, mike wrote:
         I'm still trying to figure out why I can't get fahclient to
run, and I found out that ldd shows which libraries

As you've opened a new thread I reply in this instead of the first one.

Install libbz2-1. Then install the downloaded FAH-rpm as normally.

zypper in fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm fahcontrol-7.5.1-1.noarch.rpm
fahviewer-7.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm

It will complain about bzip2-libs (it's the libbz2-1 package in our
world), just ignore and choose "break some dependencies". Download the
debian package. Extract it (preferbly with ark) to a local directory
(important). Copy the 4 (actually 3 binary and 1 python) binary from the
local usr/bin to /usr/bin/

Like so:

sudo cp <yourlocaldir>/usr/bin/FAH* /usr/bin/

And run. It works on my tumbleweed.

Explanation:

If you download the package for debian you'll see that ldd for the
binarys hasn't any issues finding the libs. That's probably because the
developer choose to link statically for debian. You should open an issue
at github and ask for static linked binary for rpm in the same manner as
for deb. Probably they don't care because opensuse isn't a supported
platform.

No this is more likely because debian is using the same version of ssl
as we are so it was compiled against the right (or a close enough
version) where the rpm may have been build for Redhat or Fedora which
could have a incompatible version of ssl when compared with openSUSE,
static linking is something that is very rairly done in the linux world,
especially with things like ssl, if you are using something with a
statically linked version of ssl, it almost certainly has security
vulnerabilities, unless they are rebuilding the app everytime an ssl
security bug comes out which is often.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30