Re: [opensuse-support] LEAP 15.0 - logging amavis
On 08/27/2018 09:55 PM, Michael Hirmke wrote:
Hi again,

Hi *,

starting with openSUSE Leap 15.0 I got a problem with logging from the
amavis daemon.
Before 15.0 amavis logged to /var/spool/amavis/amavis.log, which was
rotated once a day. With 15.0 amavis only logs to syslog despite the
configuration setting "$do_syslog = 0;" in /etc/amavis.conf.
After modifying the amavis.service file and commenting out
"StandardOutput=syslog" I got no logging at all.

nope, I was wrong - that also didn't change anything.
I still get all log entries in the journal/syslog and an empty log file.

journal is not syslog, there are important differences.

Journal keeps everything in the same place, and you can not avoid
flooding. If you have something that generates gigabytes of log entries
(say, leafnode in debug mode), the (systemd) journal is flooded and
important entries about disk failure get purged out and lost for ever.

With syslog you decide what goes where and what to rotate or dump to
garbage.

So typically with syslog amavis messages go to "/var/log/mail" only. You
can readjust to send to "/var/log/amavis" if you want.

Not exactly what you ask, have amavis log to file directly.

(from openSUSE 15.0 (Legolas))