Re: [opensuse-support] TW icewm, kdm and startx all fail with kdm timeout & coredumping icewm, drkonqi & kicker
David C. Rankin composed on 2018-08-27 02:31 (UTC-0500):

Felix Miata wrote:

OP: <https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde3/2018-08/msg00031.html>

All these failures are associated with another new ~/.config/gtkrc* file.

Same PC has separate TW installation with Plasma that works as expected. :-p

Ideas?

Felix, only guesses (15 is my latest),

To get kdm happily working there in the new "update alternatives" world, I
followed the standard advice of:

# update-alternatives --install
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/default-displaymanager default-displaymanager
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/kdm3 15

(that did not change the DM)

I then set:

# update-alternatives --set default-displaymanager
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/kdm3

which did change the DM to kdm3, but had the associated cannot find
display-manager.service issue.

So I provided my own display manager service:

# cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/kdm3.service
[Unit]
Description=KDE3 Display Manager
After=systemd-user-sessions.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/opt/kde3/bin/kdm

[Install]
Alias=display-manager.service

(did the obligatory systemctl daemon-reload, and did not enable or start the
service, but since it is aliased to display-manager, it is found and systemd
is happy -- you can enable it, but it is really just used one-shot so there is
no benefit)

I don't know if this will fix your issue, but making sure that display-manger
is actually aliased to something may provide a solution.

I doubt the problem here has anything to do with /etc/alternatives. I have
other TW/KDE3 installations that work as expected. On the failing one I had
this already:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Dec 4 2017 default-displaymanager ->
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/kdm3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Jun 16 22:37 default-xsession.desktop ->
../../usr/share/xsessions/kde.desktop

I redid the latter to be a normal symlink instead of relative, but it changed
nothing.

Startx fails to start icewm, which coredumps as well, so apparently this isn't
just a KDE3 problem. Doesn't look like kernel either, as same failure whether
4.18.0, 4.17.14, 4.16.12 or 4.15.13. :-(

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/