[opensuse-support] Re: Adding a new NIC
On 2018-08-04 10:54, huw wrote:
Hi everyone

I have recently started dual booting with Windows 7 and encountered a
nasty bug with the Windows driver for my PC's integrated NIC (Realtek)
that is making dual booting an even bigger headache than it already is.
After exhausting the solutions I found online, I've decided to just
order a new NIC and plug it into a spare PCI slot.

The new NIC is made by TP LINK.  Am I being hopelessly optimistic to
assume that when it's plugged in and my ethernet cable connected to it,
it will be automatically detected and configured?  If not, what do I
need to do to use the new NIC?  I am running Tumbleweed and the Plasma
desktop.  Many thanks in advance.

I don't think automatic. Probably you have to start YaST network
settings module (system section), and in the overview tab you should see
two nicks, one the old, one the new. You simply have to "edit" the new
one and choose your settings. The tab at the right here is "hardware
settings".

If you want to use network manager, you have to say so in the first
window, first tab.

Should be easy. Sometimes I had a bit of a row to tell it to ignore the
bad ethernet. Maybe instead of edit, hit delete on that one.