Re: [opensuse-support] Adding a new NIC
On 04/08/18 09:59, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Le 04/08/2018 à 10:54, huw a écrit :
Hi everyone

I have recently started dual booting with Windows 7 and encountered a
nasty bug with the Windows driver for my PC's integrated NIC (Realtek)

do you mean Windows 7 is unable to use the NIC? May be give us the
complete NIC name (from lspci), because realtek is the most common
brand, it's curious to have a problem with it (even knowing it's not
the best loved brand)
It works fine in Windows alone - if that was the only OS I use I'd never
know there was a problem.  It's only an issue in a dual-boot scenario.
Output of lspci is:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Onboard Ethernet

that is making dual booting an even bigger headache than it already is.
After exhausting the solutions I found online, I've decided to just
order a new NIC and plug it into a spare PCI slot.

The new NIC is made by TP LINK.  Am I being hopelessly optimistic to
assume that when it's plugged in and my ethernet cable connected to it,
it will be automatically detected and configured?  If not, what do I
need to do to use the new NIC?  I am running Tumbleweed and the Plasma
desktop.  Many thanks in advance.

most of the time ethernet NIC are working without any problem, may be
yours is defective

jdd

Just to be clear, the new NIC isn't installed yet (it is ordered and on
its way to me).  I just want to be sure I know what to do with it by the
time it arrives.

Kind regards,
Huw