Re: [opensuse-support] new tumbleweed installation will only run plasma desktop
On 07/17/2018 03:39 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-07-17 03:58, George from the tribe wrote:

A possibly related problem - /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager says this:

# Here you can set the default Display manager
(kdm/xdm/gdm/wdm/entrance/console).
# all changes in this file require a restart of the displaymanager
#
DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"

Forget it, this method has been deprecated, changes there are ignored.

To change the display manager you have to use update alternatives, as
Patrick said. There is also an "alternatives" modules in YaST if you
install it.

Ok, great, so I ran

# update-alternatives --config default-displaymanager

And that brought up the correct display manager. It also allowed me to get into LXDE. At least I have access into it. There are still some issues with running slow in the other desktop, but I will have to elaborate on that in another thread. Thanks!

--
George
Box: 42.3 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB