Re: [opensuse-support] amd graphics card on laptop and slowness
On 07/11/2018 03:29 AM, Peter McD wrote:
Am 11.07.2018 um 00:04 schrieb George from the tribe:
So I have been using this Dell Inspiron 15 5576 (laptop #1 below) and have not been generally happy with its performance. Sluggish, sometimes freezes, can't suspend to ram, and a few other minor irritations. Should run really fast with the amount of memory it has.

I found a thread indicating maybe a problem with the graphics card? So I looked up my specs on Dell, and this is supposedly the graphics card I have:

AMD FX 9830P Quad-Core Processor with Radeon R7 Graphics

that seems to indicate I need to download the new amdgpu-pro driver. So I downloaded the driver from here https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx# but I haven't installed it yet. Am I on the right path here?

I've tried the latest amgpu-pro driver with an Radeon RX 460 with Leap 15 on my desktop and had no success.
But the amdgpu open source drive does quite well with Tumbleweed.

But amdgpu-pro (the openCL -part) with Kubuntu 16.04.4 and Kubuntu 18.04 run nicely and noticeably faster on other partitions when openCL is used.

cu
Peter

Well, the amdgu-pro driver totally failed with 42.3. I was able to get details on my hardware by going into Windows and looking it up.

The 2 devices are
1 - AMD Radeon R7 Graphics, from Dell, the device id is 9874, which is a
Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics] device.

2 - Radeon Rx 560 Graphics with device id 67EF, which is a
Baffin [Radeon Rx 460/560D Pro 450/455/460/555/560] device.

I can't determine if the amdgpu-pro driver is supposed to work with that dual device setup or not, but it did not work with 42.3.

But I still run into slowness in 42.3. I am going to try your solution and install tumbleweed, using the regular amdgpu driver, and see if that makes things run faster.

At least I know that if I go to get another laptop, it is best to avoid anything with AMD graphics. My Dell XPS uses Intel graphics, and it runs really well, no problems, fast and smooth. I never had to do anything to mess with the driver.

--
George
Box: 42.3 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB