Re: [opensuse-support] amd graphics card on laptop and slowness
Am 11.07.2018 um 00:04 schrieb George from the tribe:
So I have been using this Dell Inspiron 15 5576 (laptop #1 below) and have not been generally happy with its performance. Sluggish, sometimes freezes, can't suspend to ram, and a few other minor irritations. Should run really fast with the amount of memory it has.

I found a thread indicating maybe a problem with the graphics card? So I looked up my specs on Dell, and this is supposedly the graphics card I have:

AMD FX 9830P Quad-Core Processor with Radeon R7 Graphics

that seems to indicate I need to download the new amdgpu-pro driver. So I downloaded the driver from here https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx# but I haven't installed it yet. Am I on the right path here?

I've tried the latest amgpu-pro driver with an Radeon RX 460 with Leap 15 on my desktop and had no success.
But the amdgpu open source drive does quite well with Tumbleweed.

But amdgpu-pro (the openCL -part) with Kubuntu 16.04.4 and Kubuntu 18.04 run nicely and noticeably faster on other partitions when openCL is used.

cu
Peter