Re: [opensuse-support] snapper question
  • From: Andrew Colvin <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 14:14:17 +0100
On Tuesday, 19 June 2018 12:31:17 BST Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:03:45 PM WIB Andrew Colvin wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 June 2018 06:28:29 BST Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On a newly installed Tumbleweed I choose BtRFS and XFS as my
file-system.
As I found with former installations this would automatically make a
hidden
directory /.snapshots and starts the usage of snapper.
My latest installation did not finish a snapper setup and I am stuck
with
instruction of reading the man snapper. Read it and I am not much wiser.
The yast snapper is not able to help me out either.
What is the instruction in order to have a functioning snapper?

can you run
btrfs subvolume list /
btrfs subvolume get-default /
to see if the structure has been set up. If it has then it shouldnt be
hard to set up a snapper profile. If you do not have the structure it is
still doable but requires lots of subvolume manipulation

btrfs subvolume list / gives what looks like a complete list of var/plus
some and the
btrfs subvolume get-default / says ID 5 (FS_TREE).
Hope that this short reply is the right response.

This is from a fresh tumbleweed. Is yours the same? If so it is just the
snapper profile that needs creating
linux-lzzr:/home/andrew # btrfs subvolume list /
ID 256 gen 226 top level 5 path @
ID 258 gen 288 top level 256 path @/var
ID 259 gen 237 top level 256 path @/usr/local
ID 260 gen 275 top level 256 path @/tmp
ID 261 gen 226 top level 256 path @/srv
ID 262 gen 242 top level 256 path @/root
ID 263 gen 226 top level 256 path @/opt
ID 264 gen 284 top level 256 path @/home
ID 265 gen 226 top level 256 path @/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi
ID 266 gen 226 top level 256 path @/boot/grub2/i386-pc
ID 267 gen 248 top level 256 path @/.snapshots
ID 268 gen 283 top level 267 path @/.snapshots/1/snapshot
ID 273 gen 226 top level 267 path @/.snapshots/2/snapshot
ID 274 gen 226 top level 267 path @/.snapshots/3/snapshot
ID 275 gen 226 top level 267 path @/.snapshots/4/snapshot
ID 276 gen 226 top level 267 path @/.snapshots/5/snapshot
ID 277 gen 226 top level 267 path @/.snapshots/6/snapshot

linux-lzzr:/home/andrew # btrfs subvolume get-default /
ID 268 gen 283 top level 267 path @/.snapshots/1/snapshot