Re: [opensuse-support] X takes too much CPU when the screen of xfreerdp is heavily updated
  • From: H Zeng <zhx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 09:30:28 +0100
On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 01:32:58 BST Simon Lees wrote:
On 05/06/18 07:14, H Zeng wrote:
On Monday, 4 June 2018 17:22:25 BST Hendrik Woltersdorf wrote:
I've seen high cpu usage in xfreerdp, when the app on the remote site
made use of GPU acceleration; in my case it was firefox.

Thank you, Hendrik. That makes sense because I was doing some CAD
operations that caused much screen refreshing/updating.

One option, you could try, is : /network:auto
I got this recommendation from the upstream developers, but don't expect
any miracles.

Do you mean that my local machine was struggling to keep up with the
updated screen? I tried the option but no effect.

I heard that xfreerdp transfers screen as screenshots from remote to local
and displays them for local screen. Maybe the problem is that `X` takes
too much resource to show the images?

Yep, generally large screen updates like this can be done with opengl
which transfers most of the CPU load to the GPU (even in the case of
playing video etc), whereas in this case each image is being decoded
over the network via the CPU which is why it comes under significant load.

Thank you, Simon. I guess this is normal, then.

Best regards,
Zeng