Re: [opensuse-support] Font fun

On 04/06/18 07:10, Knurpht @ openSUSE wrote:
Op zondag 3 juni 2018 23:12:01 CEST schreef Wolfgang Rosenauer:
Hi,

I'm pretty familiar with openSUSE and I can solve many issues when I
install new versions.

What I will never understand is font configuration though.

Neither I do fully understand how to configure it nor the default seems
sane.
I've been using Leap 42.x now for its lifetime and upgraded to Leap 15.0
today just to see that some applications have very strange and ugly
fonts (imagine fonts like from my the early days of PCs).

Especially this was about monospace this time and I was able to change
the configuration via YaST2's new module (btw, where does it apply the
configuration? I couldn't find it in /etc/fonts.)

But first I had to look up on my old installation (thank god it's still
around in another partition) which font I've used for the past years.
Therefore I was able to apply the same.

Still my feedback somehow is:
openSUSE's default font selection is inconsistent and strange/suboptimal
in every other version or I do something wrong in a subtle way.

Anyone has a useful pointer how to get nice fonts within openSUSE Leap 15.0?

Thanks,
Wolfgang
Which desktop are we talking about?
In your 42.3 install, did you use default fonts, or self-picked ones?
Which apps are suffering from the issue? GTK apps on KDE?
Could it be you have some deprecated theme active?

Yeah someone went to lots of effort to make sure that by default
everything is using the same default font, Roboto from memory. What has
likely happened is that at some point your config for certain apps
probably all using the same toolkit (ie gtk or Qt/KDE etc) was updated
to use a specific font. In the upgrade from 42.3 to 15.0 that font may
have been removed which is now leading the toolkit to fallback to
something ugly instead.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30