Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-storage (12 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-storage] Review partitioning requirements - x86
On Fri, Jul 08, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

On 05/20/2016 08:46 AM, Jiri Srain wrote:

I am not sure why the /boot parititon is needed here. If you have
sufficently
large MBR gap to embed stage2 image, then it could boot off from LVM volumes
directly.

We did that based in the Michael Chang's comment that is documented at
https://github.com/yast/yast-storage-ng/blob/master/doc/boot-partition.md#general

Our conclusion from that comment was "ditching /boot is harder than
expected, so to stay safe always propose /boot with LVM".
That's reflected in the summary section here
https://github.com/yast/yast-storage-ng/blob/master/doc/boot-partition.md#general-1

Ok, I understand the problems with grub-once, but: always creating
a /boot with LVM makes snapshots/rollback with LVM impossible :(

Looks like this needs a further discussion with the bootloader people,
if there isn't a solution for at least GPT based partition schemes or so.

"with raid, eLVM and LVM
- on GPT always create a GRUB partition
- otherwise, always create a /boot partition"

Isn't it?

Ok, and this is what we have today, fine with me.

Thorsten

GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)