Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-storage (14 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-storage] Re: Reusing partitions in the proposal
On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 03:46:20PM +0200, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
On 13.04.2016 14:10, Jiri Srain wrote:
What prevents us from having two EFI partitions?

The EFI standard?

I had understood that there can only be one EFI system partition.
Maybe I am wrong; but we should investigate this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition

"The globally unique identifier (GUID) for the EFI System partition
in the GUID Partition Table (GPT) scheme is
C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B, while its ID in the MBR
partition table scheme is 0xEF."

I.e. there is a paredefined GUID for that partition; if there are
multiple ones, they'd get the same GUID which sounds like a recipe
for desaster to me.

On GPT each partition has a "Partition type GUID" and a "Unique
partition GUID", see "GUID partition entry format" on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table.

The first is just a type ID and can occur multiple times. It
replaces the byte ID of MS-DOS partition tables.

Surely, the EFI standard can have additional requirements on the
ESP.

ciao
Arvin

--