Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-storage (14 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-storage] Re: Reusing partitions in the proposal
  • From: Jiri Srain <jsrain@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:56:35 +0200

On 13.4.2016 15:53, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
On 13.04.2016 15:46, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition

"The globally unique identifier (GUID) for the EFI System partition
in the
GUID Partition Table (GPT) scheme is
C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B,
while its ID in the MBR partition table scheme is 0xEF."

I.e. there is a paredefined GUID for that partition; if there are
multiple
ones, they'd get the same GUID which sounds like a recipe for
desaster to me.

OK, forget that one; Arvin just told me that this is not the ID of
that partition, but the type (that was a one-byte value like 0x83 for
Linux, 0x82 for swap etc.).

Still that doesn't clarify if there can be multiple ones.

Not 100% sure I still remember everything correctly, IIRC Raymund told
me (some 10+ years ago) that some operating systems wipe the contents of
the partition completely when reinitializing bootloader - which
effectively prevents any sharing.

Stefan, thanks for reaching out to Raymund to get this clarified...

Jiri

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain