Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-storage (14 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-storage] Re: Reusing partitions in the proposal
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 14:27:27 +0200
On 04/13/2016 02:10 PM, Jiri Srain wrote:
On 13.4.2016 14:01, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
On 04/12/2016 01:48 PM, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
On Tuesday 2016-04-12 10:04, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

Right now the mechanism to reuse existing partitions is not 100% clear.

Case 1 - EFI partition

If there is already an EFI partition in the system, the VolumesGenerator
will not include an EFI partition in the list of volumes (since we don't
need to create it). It's not clear to me who/when will do the actual
work of reusing the existing partition.

Case 2 - Swap

Right now, VolumesGenerator always includes a swap volume, even if there
is one in the system. This PBI suggests that deciding between creating a
new partition or resizing an existing one would be a task for SpaceMaker
and PartitionCreator.

We need a more consistent approach. Ideas?

Maybe having something like
vol.reuse_device = "/dev/sdc3"
so the VolumesGenerator already decides that?
Something for settings? Like reuse_efi_system_partition, reuse_swap?
I'm pretty sure we will have cases in which we will need to reuse the
EFI partition (installing alongside Windows, for example).

What prevents us from having two EFI partitions?

Generally speaking, maybe nothing. But still I'm sure there will be
scenarios in which we need to reuse an existing one. For example, AFAIK
some versions of Windows are not installable in disks with more than one
EFI partition.

Cheers

The case of swap is more complex. I'm not even sure it's generally a
good idea to share swap.

In any case, we need some mechanism to implement reusing of
partitions... and to define what reusing means.

See my thoughts (with a final important question) here:
https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/libstorage-ng-reusing

Cheers

--
Ancor González Sosa