Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-storage (14 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-storage] Re: Reusing partitions in the proposal
Hi,

On 12.4.2016 13:48, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
On Tuesday 2016-04-12 10:04, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

Right now the mechanism to reuse existing partitions is not 100% clear.

Case 1 - EFI partition

If there is already an EFI partition in the system, the VolumesGenerator
will not include an EFI partition in the list of volumes (since we don't
need to create it). It's not clear to me who/when will do the actual
work of reusing the existing partition.

Well, I think that this depends on the full context. If there is other
operating system installed and we keep it (or just resize its
partition), we should also keep its EFI partition. OTOH if the system is
deleted completely (e.g. because there is no way to stick the new system
to the disk in addition to the existing one), its EFI should go too.

Sharing the EFI partition with system we know nothing about could be
dangerous - I remember Raymund telling me that - not sure which system -
always wipes its EFI partition when reinstalling bootloader.

Jiri

Case 2 - Swap

Right now, VolumesGenerator always includes a swap volume, even if there
is one in the system. This PBI suggests that deciding between creating a
new partition or resizing an existing one would be a task for SpaceMaker
and PartitionCreator.

We need a more consistent approach. Ideas?

Maybe having something like
vol.reuse_device = "/dev/sdc3"
so the VolumesGenerator already decides that?

Something for settings? Like reuse_efi_system_partition, reuse_swap?

BTW, the ml is opensuse-storage; Cc-ing.

Steffen

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain