[softwaremgmt] RFC: enhancerepo 0.4.0
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett" <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:24:16 +0100

Hey guys

I just uploaded to home:dmacvicar what I would like to be enhancerepo 0.4.0

This release has lot of refactorings, bugfixes and new testcases as a result
of the feedback of the Linkat guys (Jordi & Jordi) and also from Michael
Calmer who works in our SLE migration process.

Before release I want to wait a small time-window to collect some feedback. I
do not plan to fix all issues, as I already have a TODO list for 0.4.1, but
depending on the feedback I may hold releasing it.

Changes:
* Various delta and update generation bugfixes:
* improved logger support
* --split-updates, patch by Jordi Massaguer Pla
* primary data generation (EXPERIMENTAL, don't use it yet)
* allows to generate metadata to a separate directory
* product metadata generation extracted from *-release rpm packages
* benchmark feature
* speed improvements
* lot of testcases to avoid regressions

TODO for 0.4.1
- finish switching xml parsing and creation to nokogiri, to speedup
- experiment with primary metadata support

Things you can do with enhancerepo:
* take a rpmmd repository (created by createrepo) and add disk usage
information, expiry info, keywords
* take a rpmmd repository containing various versions of some package, and
generate any level of deltarpms and generate deltainfo.xml automatically
* take a rpmmd repository containing various versions of some package, and
generate patches grouping the packages per fix/issue, automatically generating
the patch description from the changelog, including bug and security