Re: [opensuse-security] Apparmor suggestion to include more profiles
On 2016-05-30 14:12, Johannes Meixner wrote:

Hello,

On May 30 13:39 Carlos E. R. wrote (excerpt):
Suppose LibreOffice is configured so that it can only
open files in ~/Documents. Now suppose LibreOffice is
trojaned, perhaps via a macro virus. It could open
and trash every file in ~/Documents.

Plain destruction is not a real problem.
It is easily noticed and simply fixed (use your backup).

It can be. It has not happened in Linux as far as I know, but in Windows
people find suddenly their data files encrypted for a ransom. Backups,
yes, but most people don't do even a monthly backup.

I know one guy on a business setup, exporting many files from a Linux
server via samba to Windows clients that had many files corrupted in
this way. He is doing periodic backups and checks to find out when the
data files get corrupted and then stop the backup, lest the backup
itself gets corrupted and rotated out.

The problem is when it reads all your ~/Documents/*
and sends them to someone else in the Internet so that
later you can get tricked by social engineering
that is very specifically made for you.

Yes, that's also a real danger.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >
List Navigation