Re: [opensuse-security] Potential Nautilus issue ..
Joop Boonen wrote:
On shmoocon ( http://www.shmoocon.org/schedule ) they showed a POC of an
USB exploit on Ubuntu Linux.

Information:
http://www.shmoocon.org/speakers#usbautorun
Video:
http://www.shmoocon.org/2011/videos/Larimer-USB_AutoRun.m4v

This is caused by a exploit in via the dvi format (probably this one:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/evince/commit/?id=d4139205b010ed06310d14284e63114e88ec6de2
) and the automount option of Nautilus. I see that Nautilus in openSuSE
(11.3) is standard configured to automount.

I don't know if this considered an issue.

Updates that fix the mentioned evince vulnerabilities are already
released. As defensive measurement against future attacks of that
kind it would be nice indeed if gnome wouldn't automatically open
new removable media though. Esp if the screen is locked. Nautilus
actually even has an option to tun the behavior off. IIRC KDE4
doesn't immediately open new volumes in the file manager either but
rather prompts what to do.

cu
Ludwig

--