Re: [opensuse-security] Re: [security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox (SUSE-SA:2009:012)
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:43:24 +0100
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:48:56PM +0100, Frank Steiner wrote:
Marcus Meissner wrote

Yes, we have some backporting issues currently, since the maintainer
changed.

Also the 2.0 branch is officially out of maintenance, but there are some
backports.

Hmm, but what about the 5-year maintenance duration for SLES/SLED?
Isn't it guaranteed to get support and upgrades/security fixes for
the whole 5 years? I mean, we cannot just stop browsing with our
SLED systems after three years... Especially not if it looks like
SLES/D 11 will not be released in this century or decade or sth :-)

I also feel that considering the price you pay for SLED and SLES
one would expect to get at least security upgrades for these systems with
higher priority than for openSuSE. With the increasing length of the
SLES release cycle, this problem will occur more often in the future.

Of course we will be doing backports, I just wanted to explain the technical
difficulties :)

I will try to get updates soon.

Thanks!

But wouldn't it be easier to have some additional packages of
gtk, cairo etc., installing in some non-standard locations in /opt
and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get FF3 running?

This is also something we consider and might be easier in the long run.

Ciao, Marcus